You might be surprised by what you could be saying to keep your relationship going strong—you already know it, you probably don’t say it enough.
Who would have ever thought that one way you can keep your relationship strong and healthy would be some by using a simple phrase that you learned as a child? A simple “thank you” can keep your special someone happy and help keep your relationship healthy when you say it sincerely and frequently. Did you know that the frequency in which you express your gratitude toward your partner can greatly affect how long you two will stay together?
According to a study conducted by the researchers from the University of Georgia, when you are more respectful to your partner, the happier the relationship. The researchers surveyed 468 married people and learned that when spouses feel appreciated by their partners, they were more respectful of each other and they could work through any problems that may arise in the relationship much more effectively.
When you say “thank you,” especially during tough times like a financial hardship, the study revealed that it is incredibly helpful. It can help both parties from feeling anger, unhappy and withdrawal that often causes the relationship to deteriorate and ultimately end. “Every couple has challenging times and disagrees on issues,” says study author Allen Barton, Ph.D. “The negative effects come from how you handle them. Saying ‘thank you,’ making sure your partner feels appreciated, and keeping a sense of humor can reduce the negatives and help make a partnership thrive.”
Some people feel that a simple “thank you” is too small or isn’t quite appropriate for what has been done. Here are a few ideas of ways to show your spouse you appreciate them and all they do for you.
- 1. Thanks for doing that. It means a lot to me when you serve me in little ways like that.
- 2. I am such a different woman because of the way you _____ (love me, gently lead me, make me feel secure, etc.).
- 3. I know you and I haven’t been seeing eye-to-eye lately. But I want to let you know that I accept you whether I agree with you or not, and I’m committed to working on our relationship so we both feel understood and secure.
- 4. I don’t have a bit of a headache tonight. Interested?
- 5. I can’t believe how _____ you are. You are so clearly gifted in that area.
- 6. I’m seeing lately that you may not feel very _____, but I hope you know I still respect you deeply.
- 7. The way you _____ is such a good complement to me. God knew what I needed when He gave me you.
- 8. I love it when you wear that.
- 9. You are my best friend.
- 10. I am more in love with you than ever.
- 11. I want to go out with you. Are you free on _____ night?
- 12. I got the car washed and serviced today, hoping it would just take a little of the load off of you.
- 13. I love you so much.
- 14. You make me so happy just by being you.
- 15. You still take my breath away.